WORKABILITY RELATION WITH WATER CEMENT RATIO AND STRENGTH.

Workability of concrete is directly proportional to the w/c ratio, but inversely proportional to the strength of concrete.

when we add water to cement, cement reacts with water and make gel. 23% water is required of weight of cement for chemical reaction and 15% water is required for fill up the gel pores. Hence total 38% water by weight of cement is required for complete hydration. 

If w/c ratio is less than 0.38, workability of concrete reduces. But concrete with low w/c ratio will give higher strength.

If w/c ratio is higher, workability of concrete will be higher, But strength of concrete will be lesser. In concrete with high w/c ratio, the water in excess of 38%, will create undesirable capillary cavities. Hence, concrete becomes porous and strength of concrete is reduced.


Comments

Popular Posts

TYPES OF CRACKS IN R.C.C COLUMNS

CHECKLIST FOR TERRACE WATERPROOFING (BRICK BAT COBA)

CLASSIFICATION OF STAIR AND THEIR USES